Re: About 'gnome-disk-utility' as a default app

On 06/18/2013 02:24 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 06/18/2013 10:18 AM, Erick Brunzell wrote:
>> I've always wondered why we, or any OS, would include a potentially
>> dangerous app in the "Accessories" column of a menu. IMHO Red Hats
>> 'gnome-disk-utility' only adds risk so why do we even include it as a
>> default app?
>>
>> In many ways it's comparable to Gparted which Ubuntu long ago decided to
>> provide only on the live image so it would be available for installation
>> purposes. BTW I think Gparted is much easier for even a noob to use.
>>
>> So I just wanted us to think about possibly dropping
>> 'gnome-disk-utility' from "depends" and/or "recommends". It's not an
>> earthshaking thing .............. just a thought.
>>
>> Lance
> As long as dd (disk destroyer) is still there under the hood, I'd say
> it's fine to remove it from my perspective.  There's not any package or
> process that needs it is there?
>
> Regards,
> /Lars

I'm just trying to determine if anyone thinks it's either useful or
destructive. IMHO it's seldom useful and potentially destructive for
clueless end-users ;^)

I think it was just pulled into Ubuntu's default apps when GNOME went to
version 3.*. And I find it to be nothing but a pain in the neck!

Lance