[Update] The Distribution of 2000 Lubuntu CDs in Munich, Germany

Hi everyone,

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/germany-to-hand-out-free-ubuntu-cds-on-xps-deat

Thanks to Jörn Schönyan, we found the man behind the idea of giving away
2000 CDs of Lubuntu to the people of Munich City.

Both myself and Jörn have contacted him and this is what he wrote:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Hallo meine Herren,

Leider kann ich nicht allzu viel über die Verteilung der CDs sagen. Von mir
stammt die Idee und der Antrag für den Stadtrat von München. Als
Ehrenamtlicher Stadtrat bin ich aber nicht für die Umsetzung zuständig. Das
macht die Verwaltung der Stadt. So weit ich weiß wird die Stadt ab August
mit der Verteilung von 2000 CDs anfangen. Überwiegend wird das über die
Stadtbibliothek München erfolgen.
Ich bitte zu entschuldigen, dass meine Antwort relativ kurz ausfällt und
auf deutsch geschrieben ist. Ich stehe heute etwas unter Zeitdruck. Ab
morgen kann ich Ihnen gerne ausführlicher antworten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Tobias Ruff
Stadtrat LH München

*The English Translation is:*

He can't say much about the distribution of the discs. He confirmed that he
proposed the city council of munich to distribute Lubuntu, but he is not
the man who does it itself. That is up to the administration of the city
Munich. It will start in august this year and the discs will be in the city
library of Munich. He is sorry to have not much time today, but he will it
explain further tomorrow.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm not sure from where the date of March has come from? but thankfully, we
do know by now when they are planning to do so.

I'm going to keep in touch with him with the help of Jörn because the man
does not know English, apparently. I will keep you posted :)

Now, without endless argument, this is my suggestion as per the latest
news/update above:

*IMHO, I would advise to go for Lubuntu 13.04 and after two months, upgrade
to 13.10 and by the time 14.04 will be released, the 2000 Users will have
more experience and many questions to ask. They will start learning:*

*1- Linux is NOT Windows*

*2- Lubuntu can be upgraded every 6 months *

*3- There is no harm to upgrade the system every 6 months and it is not
hard at all*

*4- By April 2014, they will be offered an option to remain on LTS release
without upgrading anymore if they wish/want that.*

*I did not communicate the above suggestion to him. *

Our guy is busy as he said so I will contact him again tomorrow and *explain
to him the advantage and the disadvantage of going for Lubuntu 13.04*. He
did not mention any technical details like what release they are planning
to go for so I hate to assume here. Again, I will keep you updated so no
worries :)

Thank you!

P.S.
Another suggestion: 2000 users can go for Lubuntu 13.04 in August and let's
see how things will go. After that, when 14.04, they will help us to reach
to more users. Just sharing some thoughts :)

NOT having an LTS release should never stop us from spreading the word of
Lubuntu :)

--

"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
*Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
*