Re: Half of test suite still down due to Xorg bug

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 02:24:57 -0500
Erick Brunzell <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With Beta 1 testing approaching - maybe as soon as tomorrow - I wanted
> to let everyone know that I'm still unable to test as much as usual
> because of this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1205643
>
> I have made a few changes so I can run some additional test-cases on my
> other test box, but my participation will be limited since half of my
> test-suite is down :^(
>
> Lance

Hi,

The bug report you point to mentions several desktop environments where it does not work:
******
I also want to say that I'm fully aware that graphics chip is not supported by
Ubuntu/compiz itself, or even GNOME's mutter window manager, but I think it should still
work with the openbox, metacity, and Xfwm window managers ...... at least I hope so :^)
******

however, Graphics are not related to DE, or to window managers, but depend on the
driver provided to work with Xorg.

Your Chipset is a Chrome9 chipset, which is the/one of the cheapest (and bad) out
there.

The driver for it is unichrome:
http://unichrome.sourceforge.net

I had a motherboard setup with this chipset, I just added a nVidia pci-e GPU (a cheap one
solved the display issues I was meeting at this time).

>From your bug report again:
******
So onto what actually happens. When I try to boot either Lubuntu or Xubuntu Saucy Alpha
2, either the live image or an installed version, I just get a frozen progress bar. So
it's just 5 frozen dots on the screen. If I try booting through the recovery mode or
otherwise trying to "startx" or "'sudo service lightdm start' I just get a blank screen.
I can see the backlight is working but that's all.
******

It seems according to your report that only the progress bar is a problem to you. And you
can't start X from the recovery mode of course, it's an init mode which is too low for
that.

If it is only the progress bar which bothers you: the progress bar does not matter. You
can hit a key before booting (it might be F6, look at the lower part of the screen to
check) and replace "quiet splash" in the kernel command line with "noquiet" (leave the
'--' at the end of the line) and you will have a text mode boot instead. Or just ignore
what the progress bar looks like and go do something else by the time the system finishes
the boot?

Regards, Mélodie