Beta 1: Tweak for old Intel graphics

The following tweak still works to improve the colours in pictures and
video for Lubuntu Saucy Beta 1 in my IBM Thinkcentre.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-51126

*Change the Xorg acceleration method to UXA*

John Hupp <lubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There was this helpful bug report on file at
http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1178982.

It described behavior on Dell PC's with integrated Intel graphics, in
which Adobe Flash Player would display only with shades of purple and
green in a horizontally compressed window (or at least that's how I
would describe what I see on a Dell Dimension 2400).

The work-around (Comment #1) was to change the Xorg acceleration method
to UXA.

User reported a work-around:

-o-

Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows: (ugh, can't format,
should be a tab before each line except the first and the last).

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Intel Graphics"
	Driver "intel"
	Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Restart X (reboot, restart your display manager, whatever). Colors are
back to the way they used to be and flash works.

-o-

I forgot to include, however, that the bug workaround messes up the
login screen (LightDM).  You can make out an entry box that one assumes
is for the password entry, but everything else is largely unidentifiable.

So as a workaround it leaves a lot to be desired, unless we can also
figure out how to fix the login screen.

-o-

Nio Wiklund wrote:

This method works for me to restore good graphics in an old IBM
Thinkcentre with Lubuntu Saucy alpha-2 and the following Intel graphics.

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)

There is no issue with the login screen.

Follow ups