Lubuntu 13.10 Beta2 Testing - System Hangs Often

All:

I have tested the beta-2 versions of a number of Lubuntu releases.

Given what I use the systems for, I primarily test MIDI music components, and I test on what I consider to be a minimum system for those uses. In this case, a 450 megahertz, 512 megabytes RAM system.

Of the systems I have tested, I have never (before now) seen one that hangs so often.

The first hint of this behavior, is when it froze after clicking on the "Restart Now" button at the end of a successful installation.

For awhile, I thought it would hang every time you terminate qjackctl, but trying it again didn't cause a hang.

Then, in the process of bringing up qjackctl, qsynth, and the MIDI software to play it, it froze. That caused me to wonder how I brought up the same components successfully the time before.

I later thought it would freeze every time more than 75% of available RAM was used, but repeating that didn't produce the expected hang.

The last time it hung, I was closing qsynth (which would have freed-up a lot of RAM) when it hung.

So I still have no way of reliably causing the system to hang, but given how little time it takes for a hang to occur (less than 15 minutes), Lubuntu 13.10 beta2 is not usable for MIDI music on my minimum system.

I would like to submit a bug report, but I have yet to find a case which will reliably cause the system to hang.

--
Sincerely,
Aere

Follow ups