Re: zRAM broken on Raring?

Am 28.09.2013 11:31, schrieb Leszek Lesner:
Am 28.09.2013 11:03, schrieb Jörn Schönyan:
There are freezes with ZRAM in Precise, too. I experience this both with original stack/kernel and the enablement stack from Raring. Sometimes while shutting down, sometimes after a long session or when the RAM is "full". After disabling ZRAM, there are no problems at all.

As far as I know the Precise kernel is 3.2 so it should not be affected by the problem currently introduced by the 3.10.6 kernel. The same goes for raring which uses the 3.8 kernel. And I hope the ubuntu kernel devs did not port over the broken zram module from 3.10.6 to the raring kernel.
So there only might be two possibilities:
1. Its another bug.
2. Its not really freezing but just writing a whole lot of chunks to zram which causes the cpu to run at 100 % for a long time and making system usage unusable until the chunk is written to zram.

I am not 100 percent sure, as it is not my own machine :-/ myself, I haven't seen the freezes.
The second thing can happen when lots of memory needs to be compressed into ram and the cpu is not the fastest (single core for example). So basically more than 60% of ram needs to be compressed. This takes a longer time then and maybe halt user input for the time being. So it would help if you could verify if thats the case for you and if it still halts when you give it some time to work. (not more than 10 mins please :) If this is really the case there are ways to limit the ram that is available for compression (so limit it to 40% for example) or even tweak the swapping setting to set how big the chunks should be that are written to swap. (swap in this case made available from zram)
The owner waited at least 5 minutes, if it will unfreeze. The notebook is quite old, a Pentium M if I remember correct. It has 512 MB RAM and a VIA graphics card which I first suspected to cause the freeze :-)
Also in rare occoasions(so if you only have 1 GB RAM and zram only gives you 250 MB of swapspace and you need more) it might be useful to use zram in combination with swap space on harddrive. So it would than first swap out to zram until its full and then write to swap on hd. As for the shutdown issue this is exactly where it might come to an hold for some seconds as it needs to clean zram (swap space by zram is basically unmounted and the contents is written back to ram by swapd or at least it is trying to write as much as possible back to ram)
Could be - I've set up a swap partition with 1,5 GB so this should in theory not be an issue.

Jörn