Re: USB Creator GTK - Consolekit - Mounting/Unmounting devices

On 2013-10-14 01:21, JM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The test consists in booting to Lubuntu Saucy final (installed on hard drive), and
> consists in installing to USB in order to install from there as if it were an install
> from cdrom.
>
> I have tried three times already and the Live CD creator fails ending the process. Apport
> was started but it seems not to have sent the bug report.
>
> The program at start prompts for password, because the "policy" forbids to mount the
> device : even if the device has already been mounted in the file manager.
>
> Then later the policy again used to prompt to install the bootloader, which is not bad,
> but now after a full update and a reboot, it does not anymore. The program just dies.
>
> When trying to erase the USB stick it fails:
> org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed: Error modifying partition: helper exited with exit
> code 1: In part_change_partition: device_file=/dev/sdc, start=1048576, new_start=1048576,
> new_size=4104126464, type=0x0c Entering MS-DOS parser (offset=0, size=4105175040)
> MSDOS_MAGIC found looking at part 0 (offset 1048576, size 4104126464, type 0x0b)
> new part entry
> looking at part 1 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
> new part entry
> looking at part 2 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
> new part entry
> looking at part 3 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
> new part entry
> Exiting MS-DOS parser
> MSDOS partition table detected
> containing partition table scheme = 0
> got it
> got disk
> got partition
> new_size=4104126464 but resulting size, 4103366144, smaller than requested
> Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
> changed partition to start=32256 size=4104382464
> committed to disk
> ugh, offset or size changed
> offset:     1048576
> size:       4104126464
> new_offset: 32256
> new_size:   4104382464

> It looks like after re-installing USB Creator GTK and starting it from console I have
> finished installing the latest ISO AND bootloader.This time I have had the window with
> the success message in it. However at reboot the bootloader is not found.
>
> Therefore this time I'll do it from within an Ubuntu 12.04.
>

> About the session: how come "ck-list-sessions" invoked in the console does not return
> anything? Isn't it supposed to tell me I have an active session? (Or maybe it's
> completely deprecated, and in this case is ConsoleKit still needed?)
>
> Else, now to be able to mount a device, default is asking the password. No problem with
> that when it comes to internal partitions. But how come it keeps the authorization after
> one was mounted and prompted for the password?
>
> Where is the configuration for the polkit authorization ? Which gui or which file ?

> [...]
Hi Mélodie,

usb-creator-gtk is buggy, but this way I succeed to make persistent
drives with it in Lubuntu Saucy:

Let it wipe whatever is on the USB pendrive and then create a partition
and file system: Click on 'Erase disk'!

Alternatives are kubuntu's version usb-creator-kde or unetbootin (as
well as resorting to the version 12.04 LTS).

Let us know how it works :-)