Re: People do not understand the desktop installer

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:46:46 -0200
Andre Rodovalho <andre.rodovalho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes... Today, a little knowledge about partitions is required... But at
> least, some warning should be displayed before applying modifications!
>
> I guess a graph showing how the partitions will look like after
> modifications might help users to understand what is being done. Something
> similar to the graph presented before, at choosing step... Confirmation on
> this crucial steps is important!

The first time I saw this "before" graph, I thought I had to click on one of the colors
to modify the partition, as it is with Gparted, or as it is with Diskdrake in the rpm
distributions.

Now I still put my sight on the last option to do "something else", that's to say
modify the partitions with the mode closest to the older way. This is how I am sure not to
mistake. I would even say that the almost non graphical partition tool in the
alternate installer is easier, and once it has been used once or twice, it is less
confusing than the one integrated in the installer in the graphical mode.

a "before/after" might not be exactly what the guy in front of his screen will understand
best, but a clear message as said by someone else in the thread said "all data will be
erased and lost including your personal file, except if you did a backup on another media
before starting > Continue or Give up ?".  :)

Regards,
Mélodie