Re: [Ubuntu GNOME Team] Call For Help!

Some time ago I realized that nothing is needed for understanding simplicity.

Because simple is simple.

El 31/10/13 16:25, Iberê Fernandes escribió:
2013/10/31 Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx>>

    An extract of "Rework: Change the way you work forever"
    <http://sharkinfestedcustard.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/rework-jason-fried.pdf>:*
    **

    *

        *Throw less at the problem*

        Watch chef Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and you'll see a
        pattern. The
        menus at failing restaurants offer too many dishes. The owners
        think making every dish
        under the sun will broaden the appeal of the restaurant.
        Instead it makes for crappy food
        (and creates inventory headaches).

        That's why Ramsay's first step is nearly always to trim the
        menu, usually from
        thirty-plus dishes to around ten. Think about that. Improving
        the current menu doesn't
        come first. Trimming it down comes first. Then he polishes
        what's left.

        When things aren't working, the natural inclination is to
        throw more at the
        problem. More people, time, and money. All that ends up doing
        is making the problem
        bigger. The right way to go is the opposite direction: Cut back.

        So do less. Your project won't suffer nearly as much as you
        fear. In fact, there's agood chance
        it'll end up even better. You'll be forced to make tough calls
        and sort out
        what truly matters.
        If you start pushing back deadlines and increasing your
        budget, you'll never stop.

        *Embrace constraints*

        "I don't have enough time/money/people/experience." Stop
        whining. Less is a
        good thing. Constraints are advantages in disguise. Limited
        resources force you to make
        do with what you've got. There's no room for waste. And that
        forces you to be creative.
        Ever seen the weapons prisoners make out of soap or a spoon?
        They make do
        with what they've got. Now we're not saying you should go out
        and shank somebody--but
        get creative and you'll be amazed at what you can make with
        just a little.

        Writers use constraints to force creativity all the time.
        Shakespeare reveled in the
        limitations of sonnets (fourteen-line lyric poems in iambic
        pentameter with a specific
        rhyme scheme). Haiku and limericks also have strict rules that
        lead to creative results.
        Writers like Ernest Hemingway and Raymond Carver found that
        forcing themselves to
        use simple, clear language helped them deliver maximum impact.

        The Price Is Right, the longest-running game show in history,
        is also a great
        example of creativity born from embracing constraints. The
        show has more than a
        hundred games, and each one is based on the question "How much
        does this item cost?"
        That simple formula has attracted fans for more than thirty years.

        Southwest--unlike most other airlines, which fly multiple
        aircraft models--flies
        only Boeing 737s. As a result, every Southwest pilot, flight
        attendant, and ground-crew
        member can work any flight. Plus, all of Southwest's parts fit
        all of its planes. All that
        means lower costs and a business that's easier to run. They
        made it easy on themselves.
        When we were building Basecamp, we had plenty of limitations.
        We had a design
        firm to run with existing client work, a seven-hour time
        difference between principals
        (David was doing the programming in Denmark, the rest of us
        were in the States), a small
        team, and no outside funding. These constraints forced us to
        keep the product simple.

        These days, we have more resources and people, but we still
        force constraints. We
        make sure to have only one or two people working on a product
        at a time. And we always
        keep features to a minimum. Boxing ourselves in this way
        prevents us from creating
        bloated products.

        So before you sing the "not enough" blues, see how far you can
        get with what you
        have.

        *Start at the epicenter*

        When you start anything new, there are forces pulling you in a
        variety of
        directions. There's the stuff you could do, the stuff you want
        to do, and the stuff you have
        to do. The stuff you have to do is where you should begin.
        Start at the epicenter.

        For example, if you're opening a hot dog stand, you could
        worry about the
        condiments, the cart, the name, the decoration. But the first
        thing you should worry about
        is the hot dog. The hot dogs are the epicenter. Everything
        else is secondary.

        The way to find the epicenter is to ask yourself this
        question: "If I took this away,
        would what I'm selling still exist?" A hot dog stand isn't a
        hot dog stand without the hot
        dogs. You can take away the onions, the relish, the mustard,
        etc. Some people may notlike
        your toppings-less dogs, but you'd still have a hot dog stand.
        But you simply cannot
        have a hot dog stand without any hot dogs.

        So figure out your epicenter. Which part of your equation
        can't be removed? If
        you can continue to get by without this thing or that thing,
        then those things aren't the
        epicenter. When you find it, you'll know. Then focus all your
        energy on making it the
        best it can be. Everything else you do depends on that foundation.

        *Build half a product, not a half-assed product*

        You can turn a bunch of great ideas into a crappy product real
        fast by trying to do
        them all at once. You just can't do everything you want to do
        and do it well. You have
        limited time, resources, ability, and focus. It's hard enough
        to do one thing right. Trying
        to do ten things well at the same time? Forget about it.

        So sacrifice some of your darlings for the greater good. Cut
        your ambition in half.
        You're better off with a kick-ass half than a half-assed whole.

        Most of your great ideas won't seem all that great once you
        get some perspective,
        anyway. And if they truly are that fantastic, you can always
        do them later.

        Lots of things get better as they get shorter. Directors cut
        good scenes to make a
        great movie. Musicians drop good tracks to make a great album.
        Writers eliminate good
        pages to make a great book. We cut this book in half between
        the next-to-last and finaldrafts.
        From 57,000 words to about 27,000 words. Trust us, it's better
        for it.

        So start chopping. Getting to great starts by cutting out
        stuff that's merely good.

        *Focus on what won't change*

        A lot of companies focus on the next big thing. They latch on
        to what's hot and
        new. They follow the latest trends and technology.

        That's a fool's path. You start focusing on fashion instead of
        substance. You start
        paying attention to things that are constantly changing
        instead of things that last.

        The core of your business should be built around things that
        won't change. Things
        that people are going to want today and ten years from now.
        Those are the things you
        should invest in.

        Amazon.com focuses on fast (or free) shipping, great
        selection, friendly returnpolicies,
        and affordable prices. These things will always be in high demand.

        Japanese automakers also focus on core principles that don't
        change: reliability,
        affordability, and practicality. People wanted those things
        thirty years ago, they want
        them today, and they'll want them thirty years from now.

        For 37signals, things like speed, simplicity, ease of use, and
        clarity are our focus.

        Those are timeless desires. People aren't going to wake up in
        ten years and say, "Man, I
        wish software was harder to use." They won't say, "I wish this
        application was slower."

        Remember, fashion fades away. When you focus on permanent
        features, you're in
        bed with things that never go out of style.

    If you found this interesting, perhaps you shall want to have a
    look at the book.

    Thank you.