temporary (?) error of gnome-mplayer in Lubuntu Trusty 32-bit

Hi,

mplayer (mplayer2) works well (plays video) when launched from a
terminal window, but the GUI gnome-mplayer did not work. Some days ago
it only played sound. Now it crashed. and I was prompted to file a bug
report. After logout and also after reboot of the installed system, I
could play the video in Openbox, and in a Lubuntu session. Was it a
temporary error, that occurs during the first login after installation?

Please test it in your computer or VM, and add 'affects me too' if that
is the case.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-mplayer/+bug/1286660