Re: Roadmap proposal for Lubuntu 15.04

Hi everyone, replies inline.

Am Dienstag, 28. Oktober 2014 17:38:56 CEST schrieb Aere Greenway:
There is a new Ubuntu variant, called "ubuntuMATE", which has a desktop based on Gnome 2.

In reading about it, I got the impression (which may not be correct) that they are maintaining Gnome 2 (and its libraries).
No, they are switching to GTK3. At the moment the MATE desktop has the version number 1.8 (1.9 = dev). 1.10 will have experimental GTK3 support, but it's not recommended for distributions to compile with GTK3. I guess that will be the case with 1.12.
If that is actually the case, then gtk2 may be available for the foreseeable future.
With the switch to GTK3, even the MATE team will likely lose interest for the GTK2 libs.