Fwd: Crash reporting from Live CDs

a little fyi that may be relevant to our desktop test cases. tl;dr be
mindful of crashes.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Subject: Crash reporting from Live CDs
To: Ubuntu QA <ubuntu-quality@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Crash reporting from Live CDs has not worked for sometime due to
squashfs not supporting inotify, which upstart and update-notifier use
to notify you of crash reports. The .crash file is created and does
exist in /var/crash, its just that nothing tells you about it.

I've just uploaded a new version of casper to Vivid that works around
this problem and you should start getting notifications of crash reports
from the Live CD / DVDs. Having said that the crash reports won't yet go
to Launchpad, but will go to the Ubuntu Error Tracker. You can find the
OOPS ID for your crash report in /var/log/upstart/whoopsie.log. It'll
look something like this:

[17:19:10] Parsing /var/crash/nvidia-331-uvm.0.crash.
[17:19:10] Uploading /var/crash/nvidia-331-uvm.0.crash.
[17:19:11] Sent; server replied with: No error
[17:19:11] Response code: 200
[17:19:11] Reported OOPS ID b447cbe4-615c-11e4-83ed-fa163e78b027

The OOPS ID we see corresponds to the nvidia-331-uvm crash report. It
might be worth considering including information about OOPS IDs in the
iso testing results.

And of course if you notice anything weird about the crash reporting
process, please let me know.

--
Brian Murray