Re: Trusty 14.04.2 finally ready for testing, due in 2 days

On 02/17/2015 11:25 AM, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
Your help is requested for testing the latest point release for Trusty
Tahr. We have only two days to make sure that there are no problems so
that we can release, along with the rest of the Ubuntu family.

If you're new to testing, it's actually quite easy. All you need is a
virtual machine, so you don't have to affect your current install.
More information is available on the [testing page][] on the wiki, but
feel free to email the [lubuntu-qa list][] or come find us on Freenode
[IRC][] at #lubuntu-offtopic.

Point releases offer bundled updates to ease the process of upgrading,
along with a kernel that supports the latest hardware. In general,
these are easy to test, so if you want to learn the system, this is a
great way to get your feet wet.

However, this wasn't the case when the update was supposed to be
released. We had some problems that delayed the release two weeks ago.
Supposedly this issue with extra/missing packages is resolved. This
appears to have something to do with the transition from tasks to
metapackages. I'm not sure what the implications of this are for edge
cases. If you have any questions, please point them at the Ubuntu
Release team, especially Adam Conrad aka infinity, who was in charge
of the fix.

If you're unclear of the issues, they affected multiple flavors and
example bugs can be found here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-default-settings/+bug/1418377
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin/+bug/1418351
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lubuntu-meta/+bug/1417784

Also, it's unclear whether or not the fix is applicable to the
alternate images. It is highly likely it will not be applicable. We
may have to release without an alternate image. If users require This
just means that users who want to upgrade will have to do so manually.
This will take longer than upgrading from the image, but it can be
done, even with the [HWE stack][]. For new users, it will also mean
using 14.04.1 alternate or [minimal install][] and then upgrade.

That being said, please test desktop images before you test alternate
images. Also, I encourage you to make sure that at least one testcase
is finished for every image before you move on to doing the other
testcases, just to be sure we don't have any problems still.

Since Lubuntu has focused on supporting PPC for LTS only, it is
imperative that PPC users help with testing to be sure that this
works.

The images (version 20150217) are all up on the [ISO tracker][] now,
though Desktop PPC is rebuilding.

Thanks for your help!

[testing page]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing
[lubuntu-qa list]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing
[IRC]: http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick=1&channels=%23lubuntu-offtopic
[HWE stack]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
[minimal install]:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall
[ISO tracker]: http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/332/builds
Walter:

I tried the i386 desktop version, and it booted (from a bootable USB drive) to a Dell Inspiron 620 desktop (which uses modern Intel graphics).

I tried it on a Compac 933 mhz 500 meg RAM machine (having the old Intel 82815 graphics), and it booted to a blank black screen (the last message seen was "starting lightdm"). When I pressed the power button, it initiated shutdown properly (with the 4-flashing-dots display), and shut down properly.

So the problem I reported with Intel 82815 graphics months ago is still there.

--
Sincerely,
Aere