Re: funky LVM

Den 2015-03-08 20:20, Walter Lapchynski skrev:
> So from what Nio & Lars suggest, LVM works but only if you sort of set
> up first. Interestingly, I see no testcase that suggests this, but the
> LVM page does:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuDesktopLVM
>
> So there may be some more easy clean up to do ☺

Hi Walter,

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. Please start by reading the following
link

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_encryption

'Encrypted disk with LVM' is considered better than 'Encrypted home'.

'Encrypted disk with LVM' works for us, while 'Encrypted home' does not
work. Maybe we need not to make 'Encrypted home' work again.

1. Alternate installer

'Encrypted disk with LVM' works according to our new test-case for the
alternate installer. No preparation is necessary before or after the
installer.

2. Desktop installer

'Encrypted disk with LVM' works according to a proposed test-case for
the desktop installer. One single preparation step is necessary before
starting the installer:

sudo swapoff -a

The user might feel better if this step is surrounded by checking active
swap before and after swapoff:

swapon -s
sudo swapoff -a
swapon -s

After this preparation, the normal procedure (borrowed from the
test-case of Ubuntu desktop) will work. This problem is *not* discussed in

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuDesktopLVM

and it is a bug, that should be reasonably easy to squash: Make the
installer accept zRAM!

3. Encrypted home

But 'Encrypted home' alias ecryptfs is buggy and hard to install. It is
affected by more than one bug. A major problem is cryptswap, to make it
survive reboots. Another problem is that it seems hard to make it work
without wiping the drive (a clean first megabyte except an MSDOS
partition table (no partitions)).

These bugs really need to be squashed to make 'Encrypted home' work well
again.