Maas weekly checkpoint meeting nodes - 2012-03-13

Attendees: flacoste, mrevell, Daviey

Executive summary:

  * 9 days to go
  * Working on polishing the package installation,
    Ubuntu installer, integration and dashboard
  * Still doing integration testing around the Juju provider

Actions from last week
----------------------

   * None

Deploy a node through Juju
--------------------------

   * Julian got juju bootstrap working, but juju deploy fails because
     zookeeper isn't installed on the node.
        * Juju issue: bootstrap isn't checking that it can communicate
          with zookeeper
        * The root cause might be cloud-init bug #953915

   * Added power mechanism to the data model, still missing API to set
     it.
          * The main use case for this at this stage is to test with
            vdenv which needs a different power-on configuration
            (virsh).

   * The current provisioning is kind of slow as we need to install
     from scratch on every acquire node.
        * Possible optimization: given we only support one OS at this
          stage: pre-install after stopping nodes and when
          commissioning.
        * Do a simple upgrade on start.
        * Ideally, that could be solved in Juju with the concept of
          reserved instance.
   * [ACTION] flacoste to email the Juju list to get status on
     constraints, colocation (subordinate charm), and reserved
     instances.

List and select Maas from the installer (Avahi)

   * Daviey has a proof-of-concept working of publishing the MaaS name
     over avahi whenever it changes.
   * We don't need the API "This service is live", MaaS name is fine for
     now, and enlistment API is unauthenticated.

Installing Maas from the CD
---------------------------

   * Database creation is done
   * User creation: don't integrate in the installation script.
   * Andres now working on configuring cobbler as part of the MaaS install.
   * Installer workflow:
        * Select Ubuntu MaaS which will discover existing MaaS servers.
        * Offer the user the options between
            ( ) Install a MaaS server
            ( ) Install as node in (Discovered 1 Maas name)
            ( ) Install as node in (Discovered 2 Maas name)
            ( ) Install as node in another MaaS

        * Selecting 4 would prompt the user for the MaaS server IP.
        * We should disable DHCP by default, to reduce the number of
          prompts, and given that offering by default isn't required for
          the seed cloud use case, and could be disruptive.
        * Tell the user the URL of the MaaS
        * Options for dialog are limited because we don't want to code
          to the Newt API for 12.04

Overview of the MaaS cluster
----------------------------

  * Huw has basic charts up. Need to change some details based on
    Mark's input.
  * Raphael has integrated txlongpoll. Working on JS API events.

Continuous Integration System

  * Still waiting on GSA/WebOps to set-up the system.
  * Diogo has a suite of checkbox based acceptance tests scripts.
  * Diogo to do testing with real hardware using the server team lab.
    since the vdenv environment is causing us some trouble and different
    enought to real hardware.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx