Re: eth order and node commissioning, and programming advice.

On 04/05/2012 01:41, Julian Edwards wrote:
On Tuesday 01 May 2012 12:27:09 Kieran David Evans wrote:
I was wondering where would be a good place to start in my delve into the
code to get to know it, and where I'd look at adding support to start
machines via IPMI.
Hi, thanks for your interest in doing some coding.  We plan on adding more
power types in the near future so you could wait a while, but if you're
really keen we can certainly help you along!

It should be quite easy to add IPMI support although there's a few things
to>
consider:
  * We need to make a database schema change store a node's power type

parameter.  Power type itself is already there, but it a) relies on data
loaded separately into cobbler to work if you're not using WoL, b) only
enumerates virsh in addition to WoL right now

  * We need a UI change to let the user add the parameters
  * A change in the pserv daemon to poke the new data into cobbler
  * Tests!  We always write unit tests.

Finally, we will be ripping out cobbler in the next few months (could be
sooner depending on the outcome of some planning) so while this change
doesn't touch too much of cobbler, we have to bear it in mind.

If you are still keen then I can arrange for a mentor to help you through
the process!

If you can find a very patient mentor who can deal with lots of
questions, I'll gladly give it a go :p

/Kieran
Great!

We are definitely planning on removing Cobbler as our next major task now,
which will affect how we go about this IPMI change.

We're currently discussing its final architecture but hopefully it won't
affect the the code a great deal, it'll just change where it lives.  What time
zone are you in?  Can you join us on IRC (#ubuntu-server on Freenode) to talk
about it some more?  I am UTC+10 and the other guys in the team are UTC +1, +2
and +7.  I'm sure we can overlap somewhere.

Cheers.
I'm in UTC+1. I'll be hanging out in the channel (nick: keyz182).

/Kieran