Re: MAAS managed DNS

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Raphaël Badin
<raphael.badin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi List (and Rob),

I'd like to ask a background question, but first to ack that I have
the full picture:
 - we are trying to update both forward and backward dns zones
 - we are not using DHCP's inbuild facility for that for a good reason
 - and we're running into reverse lookup mapping constraints that
caused rfc2317 to be written.

So my background question is - why don't we what EC2 do and bulk setup
DNS in both directions for the entire range?

Here is an example ec2 address: ec2-204-236-202-134.compute-1.amazonaws.com
and reverse: host 204.236.202.134
134.202.236.204.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
ec2-204-236-202-134.compute-1.amazonaws.com.

So, you could imagine setting up N DNS servers all with identical
configuration, and DHCP has no effect on DNS at all. N would be
however many we want for scaling and load - it could be that N ==
nodegroups.

-Rob