Strategy regarding DNS and static DHCP leases

After a team call we've decided that the best way forward is to:

 * Write the entire zone file when adding/updating node groups by generating
hostnames based on IP (like ec2 does).

 * The existing lease file parser will still be necessary so that it can tell
MAAS what IP address was allocated to the node (and hence hostname)

 * We want to have static MAC → IP maps in DHCP. There's two ways to do this:

   1. After DHCP allocates an IP, we parse the lease file and create a job to
set a more permanent mapping.  There's two possible ways to set that permanent
mapping:
     a) write a config file out and restart the DHCP server - problematic
because it causes downtime
     b) use the OMAPI  (via omshell) - problematic because you can't create a
static lease with the OMAPI

   2. Set a very long lease.  The lease can be removed via OMAPI when the node
gets decommissioned.

  We've decided to go with using a long lease for now because of the problems
in a) and b).

(A future option is to write our own DHCP server which we could do if/when (2)
becomes a problem)

  * The hostname on the node will become read-only.

Red Squad, does this concur with our call earlier?  Anyone else have comments?

Cheers.

Follow ups