Re: Strategy regarding DNS and static DHCP leases

Excerpts from Gavin Panella's message of 2012-07-19 05:26:38 -0700:
> On 19 July 2012 10:52, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  * Write the entire zone file when adding/updating node groups by generating
> > hostnames based on IP (like ec2 does).
>
> Something I hadn't thought about before: what is the benefit of this
> over just using IP addresses?

Without this level of indirection, machines will be cemented in one
place on a network. While MaaS doesn't want a machine to be a special
snowflake, it doesn't want to require re-deploying everything just to
change the routing on your network.

DNS is still important even when you are the ones controlling the
addresses. In fact, it should be a lot simpler to get right given that
position.