Re: Support for ARM PXE booting, esp. in absence of control over DHCP

On Thursday 16 August 2012 14:01:34 Gavin Panella wrote:
> MAC database
> ------------
>
> We could maintain a database of MAC addresses with their hardware
> types (and other metadata, if it's interesting), and ship this with
> MAAS. The dynamic TFTP server would refer to it when rendering the PXE
> config file. Hardware manufacturers would provide the data for this,
> but it could be augmented on-site too.
>
> This is fairly low-tech and cheap to implement, but would be very
> effective.

Where would the data come from to populate this database and what format would
it take?

As you say this could be a general fallback solution but I think the ideal
solution is to push for a real solution in upstream/hardware.  In the
meantime, we have to make the best of things as we can.

Cheers