Re: Notes on upgrading from 12.04 package to latest

On Thursday 23 August 2012 15:02:20 Andres Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> So since I just got back this week, and after another review, these are

Howdy,

> my thoughts:
> >  * yui3 and python-tx-tftp packages missing in precise (I backported them
> >
> > the daily PPA for now)
>
> As mentioned earlier, yui3/python-tx-tftp do not exist in precise and
> they are being shipped on maas trunk so a different packaging branch is
> needed for Precise, which I will make available once Quantal MAAS works.
>
> >  * when installing, there's nasty conflicts on /etc/maas/pserv.yaml and
> >
> > /etc/maas/maas_local_settings.py - probably ok to just let user
> > reconfigure
> > but if they miss the new settings things will not work. I don't know what
> > policy dictates here.
>
> Conflicts are due to the fact that upstream config files change and
> cannot be merged. The upgrade path here is to tell dpkg to upgrade the
> config files until we handle this automatically.

I can't see a better way of handling it.

> >  * The maas-provision package is not being removed
>
> This has been fixed already in packaging.

Tested ok when I just installed!

> >  * TFTP settings in pserv.yaml are commented out, plus:
> >    * pserv.yaml has an incorrect default port setting for TFTP
> >    * pserv.yaml has an incorrect generator setting
>
> As per my discussion with allenap these were not needed to be
> uncommented as they were defaults. If they need to it is much simpler to
> make the necessary changes upstream.

Also tested ok just now.

> >  * dnsmasq not disabled/uninstalled
> >  * TFTP not disabled/uninstalled
>
> Aware of this.

This worked ok too!

> >  * isc-dhcp-server not installed/enabled
> >  * maas-dhcp needs to change to generate the new dhcp config with "maas-
> >
> > provision generate-dhcp-config"
>
> maas-dhcp is simply a meta-package for maas-dns. However, I'm in the
> process of changing this to have DNS/DHCP in separate meta-packages.

Right - but we need to make sure it runs the new config generator.  One of the
things it does is set up an OMAPI key (which we're currently debating on how
best to obtain since it's generated automatically in the DB).

> >  * A booting node's PXE client shows "TFTP Access violation" on its
> >  console
> >
> > This is because the packaged TFTP doesn't contain some fixes we're
> > carrying in the maas trunk branch.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/maas/+bug/1040475
>
> I was not aware of this. the quantal package of python-tx-tftp should
> have had the same patches that are in trunk. If not, then changes were
> made in trunk that were not communicated to us to update packaging
> patch. (Thought I asked allenap and they should be the same)

Looks like we missed one.  This is a patch that allows fetching files from
sub-directories which it didn't previously cope with.

> >  * maas-import-pxe-files blows up
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1040462
>
> Fixed.

Awesome.  Seems to work too!

Thanks for the fixes, I'm doing another round of testing now.