MAAS testing: maas - 0.1+bzr1002+dfsg-0+1030+87~ppa0~quantal1

Hi there,

today I tested maas - 0.1+bzr1002+dfsg-0+1030+87~ppa0~quantal1 from
the dailybuilds PPA[1].

I'm going to copy this package to the QAed PPA as the installation
worked completely from start to end and I was able to enlist,
commission 4 nodes and bootstrap the juju environment.

Here are the steps I took and some comments:

First I installed the maas package, then answered yes for MAAS to
manage dhcp for me and configured it.

After the install, the auto detected address for MAAS PXE/provisioning
wasn't correct, so I ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure maas and set the
correct pxe/provisioning address. Then sudo dpkg-reconfigure maas-dhcp
so it'd write the new /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file with the updated
value.

Created the admin user, imported pxe files and added my ssh-key to the
admin user.

Once this was done I booted four nodes with IPMI from the MAAS server
box. After some time they showed up in the MAAS UI as declared.

The hostname name now shows the ip address with dashes instead of dots
and the .master suffix (e.g. 192-168-21-13.master). Having the IP
there is really helpful but I'm not sure about the .master suffix, is
that correct for it to work with Avahi?

I then edited each node to enter their IPMI configuration. Once each
node was configured I accepted & commissioned them, which in turn
powered the machines on and the commissioning process continued. After
around 2 minutes the machines were ready.

I then ran juju status and got this response:

$ juju status
2012-09-19 18:28:31,878 INFO Connecting to environment...
2012-09-19 18:28:32,329 ERROR juju environment not found: is the
environment bootstrapped?

But the MAAS server logged a file not found error in maas.log. Filed
bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1053143

Then I ran juju bootstrap which allocated one node for the admin user
and bootstrapped the environment successfully.

I still get this error when I run juju status:

$ juju status
2012-09-19 19:05:35,704 INFO Connecting to environment...
2012-09-19 19:05:36,540 ERROR Invalid host for SSH forwarding: ssh:
Could not resolve hostname 192-168-21-13.master: Name or service not
known

which is bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1044427, but I
confirmed the bootstrapped environment is started by ssh into it.

Thanks to all teams involved in making this package/code!

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~julian-edwards/+recipe/maas-daily

Cheers,
--
Diogo M. Matsubara