Re: File-storage replication; was MAAS testing: maas - 0.1+bzr1002+dfsg-0+1018+87~ppa0~quantal1

On 2012-09-24 14:34, Stuart Bishop wrote:

Do you recall the problem with bytea btw? The SSO systems needed to
set 'bytea_output=escape' in postgresql.conf (or in the session, or
with ALTER DATABASE) to get bytea fields working with Django.

Is that related to the new hex-escaping format in postgres 9?

My memories about this have faded, but IIRC we came to a stage where it might _seem_ to work, but with raw binary data being passed off as text. Might not have caught the problem without some very specific tests.

I believe there was also the complication that when you write your own column type in django, your custom conversion functions can receive values that need converting, or values that have already been converted. They won't know which. But I guess there's ways around that.

Jeroen