Re: Database Migrations and backports

On 13/11/12 01:51, Raphaël Badin wrote:
> I think we want to be able to land DB migrations in trunk without having
> to land them in 1.2.  For that to work, the only way is to:
> - make sure that *all* the DB migrations are landed on trunk.  (Some of
> them will be missing in 1.2)
> - change the packaging to use '--merge' when applying the migrations.
> The only problem with that would a semantic problem between migrations
> but that should be picked up during the testing phase.

Technically, I don't actually think it's a big deal to land all
migrations on 1.2.  All we'd end up with is unused schema parts.  The
caveat is that we would have to make new schemas compatible with the 1.2
code base, which again I don't think is much of a problem - we do that
sort of thing in Launchpad too.

Ultimately, however, I can't see us *needing* to change 1.2 in such a
way that it requires a migration once we are stable.  I'd also consider
any change requiring a schema migration to be outside the scope of an
SRU in all but the most extreme circumstances.