Re: Testing of precise backport

Hi Clint,

Why can't you use Breaks+Replaces? This allows the two to be installed
> together but just not configured at the same time. Its almost always a
> better solution.

Agreed. Though, this case we are taking about upgrading versions of maas,
where the ''maas' package still remains as a transtional/virtual package
that pulls the dependencies. The reason why I wanted it not to conflict
with an older version of MAAS is mainly because of the DB, since its
creation/removal is handled by dbconfig-common itself. I can certainly look
into using breaks/replaces and the results of using it further along the
way,

> Also, a package removal should not be asking about removing data, only
> a purge should do that.

Right, this might be an issue with dbconfig-common then.

> This is why you are not supposed to modify conffiles in maintainer
> scripts:
>

> http://people.canonical.com/~cjwatson/ubuntu-policy/policy.html/ch-files.html#s10.7.3

Indeed, and this is an issue I had raised that we weren't able to address
like cycle.

> 1 is sensible indeed. 2 would end up modifying package files.
>
> Agreed, though 2 would no longer cause having the upgrade questions if
config file differ, as they would no longer be conffiles. I think that 1 is
probably a better solution (in terms of policy), while 2 is a much simpler
one.

--
Andres Rodriguez (RoAkSoAx)
Ubuntu Server Developer