Re: Loose ends while finishing up docs for 12.10-stabilization milestone.

On 19 November 2012 01:53, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> - Remove etc/cron.d/maas-import-pxe-files.
>
> We *could* update this to make a task instead of using
> CELERYBEAT_SCHEDULE, depending on ease of use.

We could, I suppose. For consistency I'd rather we use celerybeat,
assuming there are no blockers to that.

>> - Add import_boot_images to CELERYBEAT_SCHEDULE on the *region*.
>>   Should probably be a no-op until it has been called at least once,
>>   manually.
>
> Presumably the region's task would just initiate a cluster-wide download?

Yeah, though we need to skip clusters that haven't already done it
once (i.e. triggered manually). You suggested checking BootImage to
see if anything had been downloaded previously, which seems like a
good plan.

>> - Update setup.py to put maas-import-pxe-files somewhere
>>   else... perhaps. Same with the other maas-import-* scripts.
>
> What's the rationale for that?

I don't think anyone ought to use these scripts. They're an
implementation detail. Let's not miss the opportunity to remove them
from the public interface of MAAS.

>> - Remove man/maas-import-pxe-files.8.
>
> I think this should be updated, not removed.  It's a handy tool to have
> around to run manually if necessary and the man page can/should explain
> that it's normally run automatically but can also be run manually if
> necessary.

Nick has put the source document into doc/man so that this is
generated automatically, which is better than having the "binary" in
man/. However, I think it's worth putting maas-import-* somewhere well
out of the PATH, and not telling anyone about them, including removing
man pages. I predict they'll be albatrosses around our necks if we
leave them somewhere readily discoverable.

Thanks for the response!