Re: MAAS uninstallable on Trusy

On 01/14/2014 01:55 PM, Raphaël Badin wrote:
A recent upgrade of the python-celery package in Trusty's archive
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/celery/3.1.6-1ubuntu1/+publishinghistory)
broke MAAS on trusty.  The symptom is that celery eats up a lot of
memory before segfaulting.  This issue, being related to a dependency of
MAAS, affects all Trusty versions (the daily PPA package, the package in
main and the package in the cloud archive).

Our investigation thus far seems to indicate that librabbitmq might be
responsible for the crash (see http://paste.ubuntu.com/6750300/ for
details).

We're working on both identifying the issue precisely and finding a
workaround.

We worked on that problem yesterday. We've identified the source of the crash (a call to amqp_pool_alloc in librabbitmq/amqp_mem.c). We're still not sure why this happens but I'll let the server team comment on that if they have any insight.

The good news is that we found a workaround:

Turns out python-librabbitmq was a dependency of python-kombu (itself a dependency of python-celery) but python-kombu could also work with python-amqp instead of python-librabbitmq.

We've changed the packaging of MAAS to make sure python-amqp is used instead of python-librabbitmq. With that fix, the MAAS package is working again.

The new package has been uploaded to Trusty main and to the cloud archive.

Cheers,

R.