Re: Opinion needed on unset power types

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am currently ripping out the notion of a "default" power type as it
> makes no sense.
>
> This raises a question:  if someone tries to start a node that has no
> power type set, should we:
>
>  * Raise an error?
>  * Set it allocated and wait for the user to turn it on manually?
>  * Have an explicit manual power type and do both of the above?
>
> Cheers.

Do you mean by starting up a node that was manually added?  Or one
that was automatically enlisted?

If a node is manually added, it makes sense to me to require a power
type be set explicitly.  If it's a node that's automatically enlisted,
shouldn't that be probe by the enlistment or commissioning tools?  At
that point, it seems MAAS should be able to determine if it's dealing
with a SeaMicro, an IPMI supporting BMC or a DMCI supporting BMC, for
example.

I am, however, interested today in how MAAS handles automated
enlistment of a machine that only supports Wake-On-Lan.

Perhaps WOL should be the default in cases where the power type is not
successfully determined by enlistment or commissioning? (I would guess
enlistment would be the appropriate place in order to be able to
automatically turn the system on for commissioning).

But take all that with a grain of salt from my limited experience with
MAAS.  So far, I've only really tried with a traditional IPMI BMC,
I've not yet tried via WOL or even using virsh on vms as I lack the
hardware to do either.