Re: DNS problems and bug 1250435

On 02/05/2014 02:54 AM, Julian Edwards wrote:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1250435

One solution for this is to simply ditch the CNAMEs and use the actual chosen
host name in the A records.  This would mean a slightly intrusive change so
that we don't fill the zone with the old N-N-N-N style first.

Can you guys remember why we did this in the first place, and the
ramifications of not doing it?

IIRC we did this to simplify the writing of reverse zone files: they are written once and for all. See the following thread https://lists.launchpad.net/maas-devel/msg00355.html for details.

Alternatively, the reason this bug crops up is because the node's hostname is
set to the CNAME rather than the A record.  We could do a quicker fix if we
use the A record as its hostname.  The CNAME would still exist for humans, but
this should fix picky apps like Postgres and SSH.

A less dramatic change is to hand out the generated hostname to clients like Juju. The user-provided hostname would still be there for convenience but the charm would manipulate A records of the form "N-N-N-N.domain."