Re: DNS problems and bug 1250435

All,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Raphaël Badin
<raphael.badin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Why do we have custom hostnames? They're pretty, but we're ought to be
>> thinking big, and nobody is going to try and give meaningful names for
>> 1000+ nodes.
>>
>> If folk want pretty names for specific nodes, let that happen either
>> outside of MAAS, or let us to have a separate feature in MAAS for
>> assigning a pretty alias to a node.
>>

> I agree, but we already have support for custom hostnames for historical
> reasons so let's keep it.  Apart from that I agree with you and that's why
> I suggest we make the generated hostname the default hostname handed out to
> clients.

Yes, let's keep the custom hostnames. We might still need to change the
hostname of a machine and it should be updated accordingly. (Remember that
the IP based ones are pre-defined).

On the other hand, after a brief discussion with Andreas on IRC, we
determined an appropriate fix for the charm by simply making use of
socket.gethostbyname. This provides the correct IP address even if using
CNAME/IP's.

Cheers.

--
Andres Rodriguez