Testing MAAS packages before landing

Following on from
https://code.launchpad.net/~allenap/maas/tftp-rebind-on-netif-change/+merge/206060:

> > > ... I recommend building a package from this branch and
> > > testing it before landing that whole lot.
> >
> > This is not something I'm in the habit of doing, but I ought to.
>
> FTR it's a total piece of cake to do this.
>
> Get the packaging branch and at its top level dir type:
>
> bzr builddeb
>
> And that's it :)  The packages will be placed in ../build-area/
>
> You may need to edit a couple of things:
> 1. Set the revno in the top debian/changelog version if it's not new enough
> 2. For speed's sake, edit debian/rules and find the reference to lp:maas in
> the get-orig-source rule and change it to use your local trunk branch.

This is not a piece of cake ;)

I farted around trying to get the above to work, and I nearly got there.
I think. You can never really be sure with packaging.

Unfortunately, Chrome decided to die just as I finished my original,
detailed, email, but I'm too annoyed right now to go through and
reproduce it all again.

It kept failing on the signing part, which I don't care about anyway,
but I wasn't able to penetrate the 7 Levels Of Arcane to figure out how
to get around it.

Then I remembered good old acceptance/Makefile in lp:maas. Some tweaks
to get it to work with newer versions of LXC [1] and I was in business
(`make -C acceptance build`).

Now I've run out of time (even more so than when I wrote my first
email), but I'll see what I can do tomorrow. This seems to be the story
of me and Debian packaging [2].

Gavin.

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~allenap/maas/update-acceptance-for-trusty/+merge/206607

[2] Why have one simple command, when you could have three? How about
some noodling around with some config files first? Don't forget the
noodling part, soft-fleshed padawan, or nothing's going to work. Smile!

Follow ups