Re: Backporting to 1.5 / Forward-porting to trunk

On 08/04/14 00:17, Graham Binns wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm spending some time untangling a commit to the maas/1.5 branch,
> where a feature that was needed in 1.5 got backported from trunk along
> with a huge block of changes that had nothing to do with the fix and
> don't belong in the 1.5 branch (which is supposed to be for 1.5 /
> 14.04 stuff only).
>
> If you're fixing something in 1.5 it's best to branch from 1.5,
> implement your fix, merge against 1.5 and then propose a merge from
> the 1.5 branch into trunk, rather than the other way around. We don't
> want to pollute the 1.5 branch with stuff from trunk because there's a
> better than average chance that that could lead to a broken 1.5
> branch, which would be no fun for anyone.
>
> If you need to do things the other way, bzr merge -c is your friend:
>
>  my-trunk-branch$ bzr ci -m "Fix the doodad that's broken."
>  (Now at revno 1234)
>  my-trunk-branch$ cd ../my-1.5-branch
>  my-1.5-branch$ bzr merge -c1234 ../my-trunk-branch
>
> That will pull in *only* the changes from the relevant revision.

Please don't forward port changes into trunk, always do it the other way
around.  As you say, "bzr merge -c" is your friend.

The main reason for this is consistency, because we've only been
backporting so far.  If we start forward porting it will cause mass
confusion.  Also I am not convinced that the problem you describe in
your first paragraph is actually solved by forward porting if the 1.5
branch contains changes specific to it!

Cheers