Re: Getting rid of bootresources.yaml (sort of)

On 04/14/2014 11:01 PM, Graham Binns wrote:

> - The `storage` variable can easily be made a default.

Perhaps we should look to re-unifying it with the resource_root setting
(formerly "root") in pserv.yaml somehow.

> - The `sources` section is the meat of the file. ISTM that we can easily
>   turn what lives in this section into a Django model so that we can
>   have this configuration managed through the web UI and stored in the
>   database.

Agreed.  By the way, we'll want to put a bit of thought into global
(easy) settings vs. cluster-specific (flexible) settings.

> We have a couple of options for how to do away with editing
> bootresources.yaml. We can:
>
> 1. Get rid of the file altogether; maas-import-pxe-files would either
>    given explicit configuration when run by celery, or would request it
>    from the region on startup.
> 2. Keep the file – it's useful for being able to re-run
>    maas-import-pxe-files manually should the need arise, and have it
>    updated by a celery job or using the RPC mesh.

My vote goes to getting rid of the file altogether.  It is a thorn in
our side:
 * With the rewriting we already do, any further changes to the file
will be extra-problematic.
 * We have separate config fixtures for pserv.yaml and
bootresources.yaml complicating our tests.
 * The settings for “TFTP root” and “storage” overlap uncomfortably.
 * Debugging errors caused by simple syntax mistakes makes the winter
evenings fly by.
 * The source of the import settings is not immediately obvious.

So instead of salvaging bootresources.yaml, I would prefer to run the
imports without any implicit context, and just pass all the parameters
we need in some format (which, yes, could be similar to what we have in
bootresources.yaml — though personally I'd prefer JSON for its simpler
and less error-prone syntax).

Jeroen