Re: Idea for dynamic/static IP allocation

On 05/01/2014 11:05 PM, Gavin Panella wrote:

> However, each cluster is meant to be on its own layer-2 subnet, so every
> cluster could reasonably hand out link local addresses [3] from a (very
> large) dynamic pool (and every cluster could use the same range, because
> they're link-local and won't overlap). With some changes to MAAS [4]
> this would be sufficient for enlistment and commissioning.

If there's definitely no switching or routing within the cluster
networks, this sounds good to me.  Changing a host's IP would require
changes, but I don't think we can avoid those anyway.

AFAICT MAAS itself only uses the IP addresses for two things: DNS on
deployed nodes, and picking an IP address where Curtin on the node can
reach the cluster controller, if the cluster controller may have nodes
on multiple networks. We can probably find a better solution for the latter.

Jeroen