Re: Problems with the hwe work

On Wed, 7 May 2014, Julian Edwards wrote:

> Folks, I'm collating the bugs raised on the hwe work here, I consider
> them all critical because this feature simply does not work.
>
> * https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1307779
>  "fallback from specific to generic subarch broken"
>
> This happens if you mark a node as hwe-s, for example, and then try to
> deploy trusty.  There's no logic to select a "better" kernel for a newer
> release so pxeconfig gets invalid paths.
>
> I welcome discussion on how to address this, as it's a bit tricky.  We'd
> need to know the relationships between hwe-* kernels and releases.  I
> don't think it's prudent to do a dirty comparison of the release
> name/initial letter.  Is there any info in the existing streams to help?

look at
http://maas.ubuntu.com/images/ephemeral-v2/daily/streams/v1/com.ubuntu.maas:daily:v2:download.json

There you'll see a couple things.
a.) Any entry that supports hwe-s also supports hwe-t ('subarches')
    That implies that something from
    product of com.ubuntu.maas.daily:v2:boot:14.04:i386:hwe-t
    is sufficient to support a subarch of hwe-s.

b.) the 'boot-kernels' contain a 'kpackage'
    We can add that for the di-initrd and di-kernel if necessary.

    I'm' really hoping that just removing 'linux-server' will dtrt.

for curtin, I think the fix is simple enough. we just need to update
before trying to determine if the package is available.