Re: Fixing static DHCP

On 2014-05-22 15:27, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
On 22/05/14 12:41, Gavin Panella wrote:

At some point I think we want to be able to assign IPs to a *user*
rather than a *node* as well, to allow for floating VIPs. A table of
(user, optional-node, address) would allow us to model it I think.

Please don't pre-assign IPs to a user. We DID discuss being able to add
arbitrary nodes to the database, it would be entirely in keeping with
this to allow the user to specify an IP address for a particular machine.

You may just be saying the same thing in different ways.

The way I understood Gavin was: "we want to allow users to allocate IP addresses and map them to NICs of their choice." No pre-assignment.

We normally use the term "node" only for systems which are actually managed by MAAS. So "assigning IPs to a user rather than a node" means: let users allocate IPs for systems that aren't nodes.

Jeroen