Re: Proposed release 1.6.0

On 02/07/14 12:51, Julian Edwards wrote:
> I am targeting the 1.6.0 release (which will come from the trunk branch)
> on Tuesday next week.
>
> The primary reason for this is to get the DHCP/static IP work out.  Any
> in-progress feature work will need to be *stable* or disabled.
>
> I'll throw a beta package at a PPA in due course.

Please see https://launchpad.net/~maas-maintainers/+archive/experimental

I've uploaded a beta release 1.6+bzr2496-0ubuntu1 which contains the
latest trunk that contains static IP addresses for DHCP on nodes and an
API to request additional IP addresses for a user to use as they please.

There are some important changes in this package:

 1. DNS entries for nodes are no longer CNAMES, they are real A records
 2. The DNS entries are only written once a node obtains a static IP
address, which happens on node startup after acquisition (and released
when the node is released).
 3. DNS entries are no longer written for nodes when they are unused or
commissioning/enlisting.
 4. enlisting and commissioning nodes will now always get a dynamic IP
address

For static IPs to work you need to configure your cluster interfaces
with a static range separate to the dynamic range, inside the same
network that this interface serves.  If you don't configure the static
range then your nodes will only get dynamic IPs and hence no DNS entries.

The IP reservation API exists as:

POST /ipaddresses?op=reserve&network=<foonet/bits>
POST /ipaddresses?op=release&ip=<fooip>
GET /ipaddresses (to show all your own addresses in use)

Note that the "network" parameter used when reserving the IP is in CIDR
notation and must match the one on the cluster interface.  You can check
the network configuration by browsing to the cluster page in the web UI
and it is listed next to each interface.

When successfully reserving an IP you'll get a structure back like this:

    {
        "alloc_type": 4,
        "ip": "10.0.0.208",
        "resource_uri": "/MAAS/api/1.0/ipaddresses/",
        "created": "2014-07-02T14:26:27.761"
    }

(Ignore the alloc_type for now, it will always be "4")

Any questions, please drop me an email or reply here.

Cheers