Re: Design topology

Hi Stephen,

   I'm not sure I'm 100% clear on the configuration you are trying to
achieve, but I've tried to give some suggestions below.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Stephen <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The scenario is commissioning and acquire a node FROM Controller’s
> webgui.

   "Controller" in MAAS could mean either a "region controller" (a.k.a.
maas-regiond) or a "cluster controller" (a.k.a. maas-clusterd). You should
have your region controller running on a network that meets the following
requirements:

(1) Web clients can reach the region controller directly, so that you can
manage MAAS
(2) Cluster controllers can talk to the region controller (the reverse does
not have to be true, since maas-clusterd will initiate the connection to
the region controller.)

   There are many possible valid configurations, but the way normally set
it up for manual testing is:

(1) Run maas-regiond and maas-clusterd on the same [virtual] machine
(2) Configure two interfaces on the virtual machine:
 - One bridged to my local network, so that web clients (from anywhere on
my network) can access it.
 - One private network (which could be either a "host only" network if
you're using something like VMware workstation, or a [possibly tagged]
VLAN, or any other method you want to use to isolate the MAAS machines from
the local network)

   Having two interfaces is important, because the typical network where
your web clients originate from will already be running DHCP (separately
from MAAS). Any existing DHCP server on the network will interfere with the
operation of MAAS, since when a node PXE boots it may get an IP address
assigned from the existing DHCP server.

The following page in the docs might help clear this up for you:

https://maas.ubuntu.com/docs/cluster-configuration.html#cluster-configuration

> The problem: TAGED VLAN on PHYSswitch only allows direct line with
> node to Controller
> but NOT webgui to host login
> if
> VLAN UNTAGGED it is
> webgui to host login = YES
> node to Controller    = NO

   This may be partly a network configuration issue and partly a system
configuration issue. As I mentioned above, for the simplest setup, you'll
most likely want the region controller to have a network interface for
management, and a network interface to talk to managed nodes and run the
DHCP server on.

> Is there a way to add a “backdoor” to the Controller, such as
>
> 1) adding a second cluster
>
>    MAAS will allow you to configure as many cluster controllers as you
deem necessary for your environment, but I'm not sure that's needed for
what you want to do.

2) adding additional interfaces in webgui and in Controller

> so that the webgui is accessible from another port while the traffic
> is tagged?

You might want to double-check your network configuration, but the key
point here is that the system running maas-regiond should be on both
networks at the same time.

Hope this helps,
Mike