Re: MAAS is now Python 3

On Dec 05, 2015, at 01:00 AM, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

>Spectacular and congratulations for getting this through, Gavin.

Fantastic news!  Great work Gavin, and I'd be very interested in hearing about
your experiences in porting, which you say will be written up separately.

>This is a major milestone for us, but perhaps an also very significant
>reference for Python 3 in general, alongside Mailman. I'm very proud of
>witness our engineering team moving the Python ecosystem forward, so
>may this victory glow upon all of you.

FWIW, system-image client in touch and snappy is also only Python 3 :).  The
server is bilingual but I hope we'll drop Python 2 once the OS it runs on gets
updated.

It's really exciting to see big projects like this get ported.  I think we've
seen an inflection point in the adoption of Python 3 across the diverse Python
universe, and we're on track to remove Python 2 from the default Ubuntu images
in 16.04.  We're seeing infrastructure porting efforts in Debian and Fedora,
and most establish, still-maintained projects are either available for Python
3 or have works in progress to add support.  There are just so many compelling
reasons to use Python 3, a lot of new projects aren't even considering
supporting Python 2.

I am, as always, happy to help other projects at Canonical get on the Python 3
bandwagon.

Cheers,
-Barry