mactel-support-community team mailing list archive

Re: Call for Testing: Updated Apple backlight driver

> Hi all,
>
> I've been doing some work on the Apple backlight driver in the
> Linux kernel to get support for adjusting the screen brightness
> via the gmux device. This will hopefully get working screen
> brightness adjustment for all Macs that that don't currently have
> it. This support has been floating around in various forms for a
> while now, and what I'm trying to do is get it into stock Ubuntu
> so brightness adjustment will work out-of-the box, more or less.
>
> The driver changes are pretty much complete, and now I'd like to
> get testing on as many different Apple models as possible. If
> you've got a machine with a built-in dispaly and would be willing
> to test, please visit the following page for instructions on how
> you can help.

Wonderful! Thanks for all the hard work. I'm going to install this an see
if it works on my MacBook Pro 5,5. I've had to deal with full brightness at
5AM in the morning and it's starting to kill my eyes. ;P

5 minutes later:

Seth, you are my hero for the day. On the MacBook Pro 5,5 I have full
control of my display's brightness. However, we have a strange issue
here... When I run:

ls /sys/class/backlight

All I get is:

nvidia_backlight

Which is really strange... I had nvidia-bl-dkms installed from natty but it
never worked. So I remove it and reboot. Nothing. I can't adjust the
backlight. I reverse it and install nvidia-bl-dkms and remove
apple-bl-gmux-dkms. Still doesn't work. Reinstall both and everything is
good. So what gives? I don't see the directories gmux_backlight,
acpi_video0, or apple_backlight. What form of magic is this? =P

T.J. Barber