mactel-support-community team mailing list archive

Call for Testing: Updated Apple backlight driver, round 2

[Note that I'm not subscribed to the mactel-support-community list;
 please Cc me on any replies or I won't see them]

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's help so far in testing the backlight driver
updates! Your feedback has been valuable, and I've been able to make
some improvements as a result.

I've got new packages for testing in the PPA. There are two important
changes worth noting. The first is that I've improved the detection of
the gmux device so that it will better detect whether or not the machine
has a functional gmux, and if not the gmux_backlight device will not be
crated.

The second change is that I've split the gmux out into a separate driver
from apple_bl. So if you tested previously, you should install the new
driver by running:

  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install apple-gmux-dkms

Answer yes when prompted to remove apple-bl-gmux-dkms. This information
is also noted in the wiki.

If you tested previously, please test again to see if the results have
changed at all. I'm especially interested to see whether the acpi_video0
backlight ever works on a machine with gmux_backlight, because if it
doesn't I can disable apci_video0 whenever a functional gmux is present.

And of course if you didn't test previously, your results would be
greatly apprecaiated!

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/AppleGmuxBacklight

Thanks!

Seth