magentoerpconnect-community team mailing list archive

replacing bank statement payments by vouchers in v6?

Hello Magento / OpenERP community and accounting experts,

OpenERP v6 has obviously made big efforts in the account_voucher module and
I remind you that we have excellent OpenERP v6 support using last trunk
branches of magentoerpconnect and extra addons (and if addons missing extra
addons 5.0 then cause we didn't port them yet).

Well, until now, when an order is passed in Magento, when you download it in
OpenERP, you can (through the accounting menu of OpenERP), decide that a
payment is pre-generated in OpenERP, according to the payment type in
Magento (you'll validate a credit card payment but let if draft for a check
until you receive it for instance). You can also select the proper OpenERP
journal base on the payment type, and hence use intermediary accounts if
required (we tend to do that for Paypal payments for instance, and then
reconcile a transfer from intermediary account to the final account when you
receive the Paypal transfer file, we usually do that with TerminatOOOR
transfos).

All right, until now we always handled those payments by creating OpenERP
"bank statements". One of the reason is that we wanted to register at least
a draft of the payment even if no real accounting invoice exists at this
stage (because for instance you'll create the invoice upon delivery later)
and OpenERP v5 made that a bit challenging without bank statements.

Well, in v6, we understand that vouchers are the new dedicated system to
register payments, even if no invoice exists yet (so reconciliation will
happen later), while bank statements are really meant for creating account
entries accouting to batch bank files, such as the real money move between
some intermediary account and the final bank account.

So do you agree we should change base_sale_multi_channels for v6 (already in
extra addons trunk) and make it use vouchers instead of bank statements from
now on?
Remember, we designed base_sale_multichannels to be independent from the
Magento connector and possibly used by any extern sale system (such as POS
or ecommerces) interfaced with OpenERP, so many could benefit improvement
here, even if other e-commerce connectors aren't re-factored over that
common infrastructure layer yet.

Thank you for your feedback.

Raphaël Valyi
Founder and ERP Consultant