magentoerpconnect-community team mailing list archive

Re: grouped products/packs

Hi Raimon et al,

While we like the nan_product_pack functionality. But in exchanging
information with Albert it didn't fit our specific use case - hence our
direction for the Assembly BoM to meet the needs of our distributors and
manufacturers.

Our Use Case
Our clients pre-build kits and put the entire kit on the shelf (one box) -
Normal BoM (Product is a single kit)
Our companies also have Assembly/Sales Kits - in which separate products are
kitted up at time of picking and packaged together (one or more boxes). The
end-customer only sees that Kit A is purchased when they order- and really
isn't interested in seeing the subcomponents of a kit listed (Normal BoM or
Assembly/Sales BoM). To them it is just a kit.

For eCommerce - the use case is to use OpenERP as the Master. The customer
orders a kit - all they see on their order is Kit #123456abcd. From their
perspective - they don't really care if it is a pre-build kit or Assembly
Sales Kit. They just want the Kit. To them it is just one product.

The warehouse then pulls what they need in the manner required - either they
pull a prebuilt kit or at picking package the Assembly/Sales Kit. If the
"prebuilt kit" is Made to Order - then a production order is created -
executing the Normal BoM.

Customer receives the packing list - which only shows the "sales kit" not
the subcomponents.

I guess it all depends on your specific use case on whether the
functionality fits or "if it is needed".

If normal BoMs are required for a business as well and if the
nan_product_pack is installed from a usability perspective now you are
managing BoMs in different functional locations with mrp and
nan_product_pack installed.

If only a Sales BoM is required and you want to display all the components
of a "kit" in the sales order lines/quotations then of course
nan_product_pack seems viable - at least to us.

Everyone can of course do anything they wish - we only wanted to point out
and communicate the direction on the Assembly BoM. We envision bypassing all
the MRP operations input, etc when defining an Assembly BoM as well - as all
the mrp operations are really needed either to keep it light - only good
coordination with picking/operation is required.

I guess the issue with Magento is - which application will be responsible
for exploding the grouping/pack - OpenERP or Magento?. Personally, for our
use case it fits that Magento orders the product/kit and sends that specific
product/kit order to OpenERP. We don't want Magento to do the grouping only
order the individual product (kit, or single product).

Of course there is also the "configurator" issue of having customers
select/build-up their kit at time of order on Magento - e.g. selecting
individual components of a bicycle and having that be sent over to OpenERP.
Sometimes would see these as individual products passed over and picked as
part of a sale. However, if there is assembly involved (e.g. welding a
custom bike frame) then a product would generate a Normal BoM for that
activity - at least for some of the products - so it needs to support a
"mixed environment too" - production and then a Sales/BoM. The issue we
often see is how to best track and measure these types of purchases from a
management standpoint/to improve forecasting capabilities. Hence we try to
simplify the environment to aid in measurement and metrics - which also
feeds into our use case.

Best Regards,

David Mitchell
NovaPoint Group LLC