Re: MariaDB release help

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 08:58:47AM +0200, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Hakan Kuecuekyilmaz <hakan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Where do you need some help for our release?
>
> Looking at http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB_5.1_TODO, seems it is
> currently mostly the mysql-5.1.38 merge.
>
> One thing that would be useful is to try some additional testing on top of
> what is already in Buildbot, as there is quite a lot missing... some of this
> might be better done after the merge is pushed though, but you could start
> preparing.

Should be no problem to start doing this now as this needs to be automated.
if it's not, whoever will be spending the effort will be swamped.

> So we could use some tools to test stuff like this. Eventually we want this in
> Buildbot of course. Concrete suggestion:
>
> 1. Testing on installed mysqld. Run `BUILD/compile-dist && make dist`. Unpack
> those sources and run `./configure <options> && make && make install`. Run
> `make clean` (to catch bad references into build dir). Then run the testsuite
> on the installed mysqld.
>
> 2. What we used to call "smoke test" at MySQL: Build a binary package, then
> install it on some machine and see that it can start and stop. Basically
> testing the package stuff (directory structure, mysqld_safe, ...) which is not
> covered by the test suite.

Can we have this as a buildbot job right away? We could disable it when we're
not near the relase.

> See http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB::PackageBuild for how packages
> are built currently.
>
> > My idea to work on and look into it: Currently we have around 10 test
> > failures on Mac/PPC. If you want, I can start looking into those
> > failures. Where should we report failing tests? I would like to open
> > a bug for each test failure.

This will be very useful once we have something that could associate test
failures with bugs. So that when one sees that the last test push has caused a
faulure, he could be presented with a note about whether that has already been
filed or not..
> Currently we seem to be using Launchpad for bugs.
>
> However, it does not sound all that useful to blindly report one bug per
> failure. Probably some of them are related with same root cause. If you can
> identify those root causes, then one bug each makes sense (maybe this is what
> you meant). Otherwise a single bug probably, just noting that someone needs to
> look into it when time is available.

BR
 Sergey
--