Re: Status of Windows build

+1

On Jan 14, 2010 8:29 AM, "Kristian Nielsen" <knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[moving the discussion to maria-developers@]

Timour Katchaounov <timour@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Sergey,

>> 1. buy VS Enterprise Edition (or Standard Edition, I wasn't able to
figure out
>>    what exactly do we need to make builds. They don't offer evaluation
versions of
>>    Standard, only Enterprise).
>>
>> 2. make the build script support building with VS Community Edition
(possible
>>    but will take some time).
>
> No, we should not build with VS Community Edition. AFAIK, the free
edition's
> compiler produces much less optimized code than the payed for editions. I
don't
> think it is serious on our side to save money by not buying one VS
license.

On the other hand, the advantage of building with the community edition (I
think we really mean the express / no-cost edition right?) is that it makes
it
easier for people to build themselves (and get the same result as our
release
builds). This is IMO important, we are an Open Source project after all.

So it would be interesting to learn if there really is a speed difference
here. Do you have some background information on this? Or do we need to run
benchmarks to know for sure?

> One more alternative would be to create a Windows virtual machine, and
install
> the evaluation version in the VM. Then once there is a copy, one can
always
> roll-back to the "fresh" installation.
>
> Given what is at stake, I'd much prefer that we have a license of VS.

As I said above, I would prefer using the no-cost version, unless there is a
real reason not to.

Just my 2 cents,