Getting a stable Windows host into Buildbot

[Cc:ing maria-developers@, in case anyone can help with suggestions or is just
generally interested. For background see http://askmonty.org/wiki/BuildBot::package]

Hi Bo,

Just a quick summary of our discussions about setting up a Windows Buildbot
host in Buildbot using KVM to get things running stably. As our discussions in
the booth at the MySQL conference did tend to get a bit fragmented due to
constant interuptions :-)

We need to set up a Windows installation (version to be determined, windows 7
or XP I guess). I guess having both 32 and 64 bit would be good.

We need the following images:

1) Base image. A plain installation of Windows with no compilers etc.

Setup to get internet access from dhcp. It needs to be running in some kind of
'server mode', we will be using it headless without any interactive desktop
login. Don't know if anything special is required to set this up.

It needs an account `buildbot' with a passwordless login via ssh using this
public key:

ssh-dss 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 buildbot@thor

Any ssh implementation ought to work, I know cygwin is a possibility, but if
there is something better that should be ok as well.

2) Build image, to run the build. This is a copy-on-write clone of the base
image, with the addition of all compilers and tools needed to build
MariaDB. Just like the existing native Windows machine we have in Buildbot
currently.

3) Install image, to test installing the binaries. This is again a
copy-on-write clone of the base image, with addition of any extra stuff needed
to install MariaDB. I am guessing that there might not be anything extra
needed at all (in particular it should have no compiler tools installed).

As we discussed, the actual installation should be done using a recent KVM
(our Buildbot is using the one from Ubuntu 9.10/karmic).

There is a lot of details about how the existing (Linux) images were installed
here:

    http://askmonty.org/wiki/BuildBot:vm-setup#Detail_of_each_vm_image

The basic idea should be something like this:

    qemu-img create -f qcow2 vm-win-i386-base.qcow2 20G
    kvm -m 2047 -hda vm-win-amd64-base.qcow2 -cdrom <install ISO> -redir tcp:2222::22 -boot d -cpu qemu32

and then install the base system.

For the Build vm image, something like this to make the copy-on-write clone:

    qemu-img create -b vm-win-i386-base.qcow2 -f qcow2 vm-win-i386-build.qcow2
    kvm -m 2047 -hda vm-win-i386-build.qcow2 -cdrom <install ISO> -redir tcp:2222::22 -boot d -cpu qemu32

and then install compilers etc.

Similarly for the install vm image

    qemu-img create -b vm-win-i386-base.qcow2 -f qcow2 vm-win-i386-install.qcow2
    kvm -m 2047 -hda vm-win-i386-install.qcow2 -cdrom <install ISO> -redir tcp:2222::22 -boot d -cpu qemu32

Hope you/we will be able to work things out from here.

 - Kristian.