Re: Windows installer

1) I did not do any work really.  I just commented on the workflow of such
(what conditions should be checked, what files the installer should copy and
where, update registry with service details, uninstallation information etc.
etc.).  But discussion stopped months ago - probably because something else
got focus.

2) I understand that this is about getting "binary windows distribution back
on track".  Maybe I misunderstood, but with a binary and installable version
there should not be any need for anything else than the installer itself
(and Windows of course).  Did you only mean that NSIS shared libraries will
need to be installed to build a distro with installer (ie. developers will
need it)?  That is clear of course, but end users should not need to install
anything in advance to installing MariaDB. It should install as the first
program on a fresh Windows installation.

BTW: I think the installer should not replace the zipped distro. It is not
OR - it is AND.  One reason is that you may want to grab a file without
actually installing.

Also do not forget to test on Vista and Win7.  Do not take for granted that
it will work just be cause it does on XP (or rather it will work, but
Windows may print error messages to user during install).  Most important
every installer will have to register an uninstaller - if not Vista+ will
complain that 'this program was not installed correctly'. And that is a
problem actually when using a NSIS-based installer for upgrading!  We
ourselves had to do a very dirty hack to get rid of those popup messages
(that are very confusing to users) when upgrading SQLyog and MONyog on those
systems.  I can ask Sayan here to provide more details about this.

Peter