per-partition attributes in the CREATE TABLE

Hi,

we've talked about engine attributes in the CREATE TABLE,
and that one should be able to specify them per partition as well.

Now, thinking about it, I'm not quite sure what the semantics shuld be.

What is your use case ? How do you want them to work ?

I see different possibilities. Say, there is

  create table ... (.....) XXX=1
    partition by list (a)
    (
       partition p0 values in (1) YYY=2,
       partition p1 values in (2)
    );

1. We can say that XXX should be listed in the engine's
hton->table_options, and YYY - in the hton->partition_options.

this works fine because the engine can use table_share->option_struct
and it will contain correct values, independent from whether a table is
partitioned or not.

but it will break when partitioning will support different engines
in different partitions.

2. We can say that XXX is partition engine options, and a pluggable
engine can only see YYY. YYY should come from hton->partition_options,
and the engine's table level attributes are not applicable.

The drawback - every engine needs to have special code to take care of
the partitioned case, and to duplicate all table-level options in the
partition-level options.

3. Same as 2, but YYY can come from either table level or partition
level arrays. Every engine still needs the special code for partitioned
case, but does not need to duplicate the table_options array.