Re: Windows installer, NSIS version

Hi!

On 17 Jun 2010, at 16:20, Bo Thorsen wrote:

There is no support for setting up the database in the installer, or setting up MariaDB as a service. CMake+NSIS is just a dumb file copy system. MySQL works around this by running another executable at the end of the install process and this program does the setup. IMHO, that's a very good solution, and it also allows the user to run the setup program again later. But it's still a workaround due to the limited installer system.

NSIS would be my choice for an installer right now. But because of the limitations, I'd consider this a temporary solution until we have a better one. See my next mail for a better but much more complex system.

I'm for this solution. It seems to be closest to what MySQL offers upstream, and the workaround makes it simple and it would mean we can get an installer much quicker, thus helping those that use the Microsoft platform as an OS of choice

	Cheers,
	-c
--
Colin Charles, http://bytebot.net/blog/ | twitter: @bytebot | skype: colincharles
MariaDB: Community developed. Feature enhanced. Backward compatible.