Re: request for feedback on live schema changes patch

I did it this way for two reasons:
 - I did not want to try to port partitioning's alter table changes.
That was getting into a realm where I could easily mess up
 - I was concerned with implementing the backwards-compatible
emulation of the old API. I figured i would do it this way for 5.1,
and then future versions that do not need to be instantly GA-ready
could either deprecate some of the old interface or have a backward
compatible emulation.

So, I agree with what you state below about having one alter table
path, but I figured the safe way to do that would be for future
versions that are not currently GA. Any thoughts on this?

The cluster code does not support the following alter table flags
(they do not even exist):

#define HA_ONLINE_ADD_INDEX_NO_WRITES           (1L << 0) /*add index w/lock*/
#define HA_ONLINE_DROP_INDEX_NO_WRITES          (1L << 1) /*drop index w/lock*/
#define HA_ONLINE_ADD_UNIQUE_INDEX_NO_WRITES    (1L << 2) /*add unique w/lock*/
#define HA_ONLINE_DROP_UNIQUE_INDEX_NO_WRITES   (1L << 3) /*drop uniq. w/lock*/
#define HA_ONLINE_ADD_PK_INDEX_NO_WRITES        (1L << 4) /*add prim. w/lock*/
#define HA_ONLINE_DROP_PK_INDEX_NO_WRITES       (1L << 5) /*drop prim. w/lock*/
#define HA_ONLINE_ADD_INDEX                     (1L << 6) /*add index online*/
#define HA_ONLINE_DROP_INDEX                    (1L << 7) /*drop index online*/
#define HA_ONLINE_ADD_UNIQUE_INDEX              (1L << 8) /*add unique online*/
#define HA_ONLINE_DROP_UNIQUE_INDEX             (1L << 9) /*drop uniq. online*/
#define HA_ONLINE_ADD_PK_INDEX                  (1L << 10)/*add prim. online*/
#define HA_ONLINE_DROP_PK_INDEX                 (1L << 11)/*drop prim. online*/

So, what would need to happen is for the default implementations of
the new interface to check for and support these flags.

-Zarodsht